photo archives

Click a term to initiate a search.

Any Category

Any Place

Any Decade


Keyword search

More options
Enter search words (i.e. George Ferguson or logging or 345074354)

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Allowed HTML tags: <a> <em> <strong> <cite> <code> <ul> <ol> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd>

More information about formatting options

By submitting this form, you accept the Mollom privacy policy.
“As recently as only 17 years ago, our little girl would not have lived.” “The modern equipment, continuing research, and the dedicated work of concerned doctors without a doubt saved our child’s life.” These remarks were made, February 1979, by Sid and Carolynn Bos, who consented to tell the story of their child’s battle for life in an effort to assists the B.C. Heart Foundation in the annual campaign for funds which takes place during February, which is heart month. The Bos family did “not want to exploit (their) situation,” but “since all this happened (they) realized all too well the wonderful dedication involved with patients suffering from heart diseases.” Additionally, they recognized that “the financial support the public gives to organizations like the B.C. Heart Fund, enables research to continue and new procedures to be developed.” The close contact that the Bos family had with those involved in fighting heart disease started just after the birth of their daughter Jennifer Bos, in 1976. Mr. and Mrs. Bos explained that Jennifer’s heart’s aorta (the main artery to the heart) was blocked and it was found too that she had two holes in her heart. Jennifer was immediately transferred to the Vancouver General Hospital, and following extensive tests she was operated on when only five days old. The blocked section of the aorta artery was removed and a Teflon tube, which would expand as Jennifer grew, was inserted. At the time, this operation was comparatively new. The surgeon who performed the operation had trained under the doctor who had developed the procedure only 17 years ago in Toronto Children’s Hospital and was a perfect example of how improvements and new techniques were developing yearly. When Jennifer’s trouble was found, her lungs had burst from the pressure, so at the time of her operation a “band” had been put on the pulmonary artery (the artery that supplies the blood to the lungs) to reduce the blood supply and thus enable the lungs to heal. Unfortunately for Mr. and Mrs. Bos, and especially Jennifer, future operations would be needed. As Jennifer grows, a change in her color would be noted and at the proper time, at approximately five years of age, another operation will remove the banding from the pulmonary artery and the repair of the holes in her heart will also be done at this time. At the time of her initial operation, Jennifer was affectionately called “our miracle child” by the doctors involved. This statement was confirmed by her parents, who stated, “it is indeed a miracle and one for which we are so very grateful.” Image not published.